Not much to share lately as it is midterm time. As the Navs staff said, this is the time when they feel ignored or avoided like the plaque...because students are so busy and are huddled indoors studying/writing papers. Of course, the weather lately hasn't helped either. One day it's sunny and warm, 14 degrees; the next day, it's pouring rain all day, windy and 3 degrees.
What I CAN share is what I've been learning from God recently. It sure isn't a coincidence that the theme of rest and quiet time in the Lord, as well as listening to God, has been revealed through many different unrelated channels. Not a surprise considering that's what I've been yearning to know more about and have been praying about. The theme has come out in my devotionals, in meeting with the Navs staff member (somehow, before we had talked yet, he knew to give me a booklet entitled "God Guides", which is all about being quiet and listening to God- amazing!), in this week's sermon, meetings with a prayer counsellor...God DOES listen, He DOES hear our prayers. He knows our inmost desires.
The whole experience of learning to be quiet and listen will be a slow one though. Our world is so full of distractions and noise of all kinds. What is supposed to be a basic discipline for Christians has become a foreign concept in the generations of late. Why? This is because media instills an always on-the-go mentality. Society has become so globalized through technology to the point where the world really has become a small place after all. Technology allows us to stay connected, but also opens our lives to being bombarded by news and information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, if we allow it. That is what I mean by noise.
So how DO we hear God? For me, it's still a learning-in-progress experience for me, of new ideas and rediscovering old ideas. I guess that will be a post for next time.
What I CAN share is what I've been learning from God recently. It sure isn't a coincidence that the theme of rest and quiet time in the Lord, as well as listening to God, has been revealed through many different unrelated channels. Not a surprise considering that's what I've been yearning to know more about and have been praying about. The theme has come out in my devotionals, in meeting with the Navs staff member (somehow, before we had talked yet, he knew to give me a booklet entitled "God Guides", which is all about being quiet and listening to God- amazing!), in this week's sermon, meetings with a prayer counsellor...God DOES listen, He DOES hear our prayers. He knows our inmost desires.
The whole experience of learning to be quiet and listen will be a slow one though. Our world is so full of distractions and noise of all kinds. What is supposed to be a basic discipline for Christians has become a foreign concept in the generations of late. Why? This is because media instills an always on-the-go mentality. Society has become so globalized through technology to the point where the world really has become a small place after all. Technology allows us to stay connected, but also opens our lives to being bombarded by news and information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, if we allow it. That is what I mean by noise.
So how DO we hear God? For me, it's still a learning-in-progress experience for me, of new ideas and rediscovering old ideas. I guess that will be a post for next time.
